The Fair is always a time of rides, food, and fun! However, it also can be a time of anxiety for parents wanting to take young children. With the Kiwanis Coweta County Fair starting September 14th and the Georgia State Fair opening on September 29, we've included several tips that will help alleviate some anxiety so you can enjoy your day.
- Get there early. Getting to the fairgrounds early means you'll get a parking space closer to the entrance, which you'll appreciate when you're leaving with exhausted kids. Additionally, lines will be shorter reducing the dreaded wait time.
- Wear comfortable shoes. You'll be doing a lot of walking. Plus, several attractions require socks or close-toed shoes.
- Bring a few extra water bottles. The temperatures are still pretty warm, so it's important to drink lots of water to avoid dehydration and cranky kids.
- Bring a backpack. You'll need it for the water bottles, raingear or other essentials.
- Pack an emergency kit. Include a few bandages, sunscreen, bug spray, hand sanitizer and some granola bars.
- Encourage children to wash or sanitize their hands throughout the day, especially after touching animals, using the restroom or before eating food.
- Remember the wet wipes! They just get used so often that they have always been an essential item in my purse!
- Keep safety in mind. Fairs can be crowded and full of distraction, making it easy to lose track of children.
- Take a picture of them before you enter the fairgrounds so everyone knows who to look for.
- Make a plan with your child of what to do if he or she gets separated from you or the group.
- As soon as you arrive at the fair, point out staff, volunteers, or police officers and let your kids know they are safe people to turn to in case of an emergency.
- Be sure to bring your cell phone.
- Write YOUR name and cell number onto a piece of paper and pin it to your child's shirt or shoe. Another option is to write your name and number onto a piece of tape and place inside your child's shirt.
- Dress your child(ren) in brightly colored shirts that you can easily identify them from a distance.
Finally...Relax and Have Fun! By following the above tips and being prepared, you can make your visit to the fair less anxiety-ridden and more enjoyable.
Want To Save Time Looking for Things to Do with Your Kids?
Our Family Event Calendar is packed full of events, festivals, fairs, story times, and awesome local family fun. We proudly serve families in Tyrone, Fayetteville, Senoia, Sharpsburg, Brooks, Newnan and Peachtree City! Sign-up for FREE by clicking HERE.