Looking for a fun, yet educational, science project? We have one for you! This simple science experiment will show your children an exploding example of chemical reactions - right in your backyard! Plus, it is quick and easy with little prep or cleanup involved.
- Googles to protect your eyes
- Mentos Mints - Any color or flavor. Both mint and fruit flavors work.
- Diet Soda - Any brand or flavor will work. We recommend diet because it is sugar-free so it will not create a sticky mess.
What you do:
- Leave your soda bottle out in the sun while you are setting up because warm soda tends to explode more.
- Find a nice outdoor grassy location. (We recommend doing this activity outside as it will be messy!) Make sure the spot you find is flat so the bottle doesn't tip over.
- Remove the cap from the soda and get ready.
- Quickly drop a few Mentos into the soda bottle and watch it explode! The more Mentos you get into the soda bottle before it starts exploding, the higher the soda plume will be.
Want more local family-friendly info like this?
Macaroni Kid Peachtree City-Fayetteville-Newnan is a FREE weekly newsletter and website focused on fun family events, activities, classes and information in Fayette and Coweta Counties. We proudly serve families in Tyrone, Fayetteville, Senoia, Sharpsburg, Brooks, Newnan and Peachtree City!